Friday, July 23, 2010

Vacation Post #10...More of the Tetons

We awoke to some chilly temperatures the next morning....hot chocolate and a seat by the fire was a must.

Or a nice cup of coffee.

I was not doing so well....I had been up during the night with intense shoulder pain...I figured I must have slept wrong or pulled a muscle or something. Every movement hurt and nothing was bringing relief. My mom happened to ask my if it hurt when I took each breath, and I replied that that is when it hurt the most. As a nurse, she was concerned about a possible pulmonary embolism, but was taking things rather lightly. She sort of blew it off and we continued the morning routine.

I wouldn't normally post such an unflattering picture of myself (maybe of others) but this picture is the perfect indication into how I was feeling. I just couldn't shake the pain and was wondering how I was even going to make it through breakfast, not to mention the day. After a few conversations and many tears, Matt and I decided to head into Jackson to the nearest hospital (about an hour away!).
We got some clothes out for the kids and left them to the care of Grammy, Grandpa, and the Huberts. As I got warmed up, the pain lessened a bit but was still pretty intense. Once we got to the ER I was seen immediately (there wasn't anyone else there) but due to my pregnancy they would not do a chest x-ray...which is the most reliable way of diagnosis...so they first took a blood test, which was a little high, so then I had complete ultrasounds of both legs as they looked for possible blood clots in my legs that could have then moved to my lungs. In between tests I was able to take a good 45 minute nap covered in warm blankets. After clear ultrasounds, the doctor deteremined that what I had must be Pleurisy...when the lining around the lungs is inflamed. The cold temperatures had just intensified the pain through the night. I was discharged and directed to use some tylenol to help control the pain. We headed back to camp and were there by lunch time.

Here are some pictures of the kids as they enjoyed their time with the gang while we were gone.
They spent some time walking down to the lake and throwing some rocks in.
And snack time.
After a little rest time we headed south to Jenny Lake to take a boat ride across the lake and do a little hiking. The view of what we were heading to in the boat.
Enjoying the boat ride.
A shot of another boat..they really picked up the speed which the kids loved.
After a short hike, it was snack time...here's a great picture of Madison and Timothy.
That evening we enjoyed hamburgers and hotdogs cooked over the fire and grandparents (great-grandparents to the kiddos) Russ and Sally arrived. They reside in Idaho and drove to join us for a few days. It had been 3 years since we had seen them on our last trip to Wyoming...I was pregnant with Jason that time. After our nice dinner our families headed down to the camper's village to take our showers which were so refreshing!

No comments: